- One of the first women to start her own independent production company.
- Earned her way to stardom without sleeping with executives for roles.
- Refused to date people for publicity just because 20th Century Fox wanted her to.
- Left 20th Century Fox because she refused to let them get away with treating her badly and paying her a tiny wage, just because of her “dumb blonde” image.
- Was only paid a fraction of her co-star’s wage even though she was the star of the movies and the biggest box office pull, but still went ahead with the movies because she was so passionate about acting.
- Studied method acting at the Actors Studio with Lee Strasberg, who said that she was one of his best students along with Marlon Brando.
- Had a personal library of over 500 books and rarely read fiction - she was desperate to learn and educate herself.
- Was sexually abused as a child but then went on to encourage the sexual liberation of women in the 1950s.
- One of the first people to speak openly about sexual abuse.
- One of the first people to openly support gay rights.
- Supported many charities such as the Milk Fund, March of Dimes, Arthritis and Rheumatism foundation.
- Donated her time and money to these charities.
- Visited orphanages and hospitals on her own time to surprise the people there.
- Married one of the greatest literary minds of the 20th century
- Suffered two miscarriages and one ectopic pregnancy and still put on a brave face for her fans.
Sorry, did you say she wasn’t a role model?
marilyn is my biggest role model so don’t even go there
and let’s not forget this
Ella Fitzgerald was not allowed to play at the popular Mocambo, in Hollywood, because of her race. Marilyn, who loved her music and supported civil rights, called the owner of the Mocambo and told him that if he booked Ella immediately, she would take a front table every night. The owner said yes, and Marilyn was there, front table, every night. After that, Ella never had to play in a small jazz club again.
"She was an unusual woman – a little ahead of her times. And she didn’t know it." - Ella Fitzgerald about Marilyn Monroe
Day four of migraine. If I thought it would help I would bang my head into the wall.
lizzybees replied to your post “We just had to evacuate the museum. Nothing major, we’re all clear…”
there was a dead body!?! holy shit.
Yeah. Sadly, a homeless man passed on one of the benches in Mac Sq (the actual square not in our building near the doors or anything). Maintenance noticed him and security had to check it out and call it in. I think I saw a tiny blurb from like Fox when I googled it, but you know how the news is.
fuzzyraspberries replied to your post “We just had to evacuate the museum. Nothing major, we’re all clear…”
good thing we had evac training like 2 weeks ago! … :D
Shaq was honestly super happy we’d had it so recently, I think at first he was a little nervous (he also had to evac Bflys so that probably didn’t help - people weren’t responding - too busy grabbing at the Bflys).
Our department overall did an awesome job. Kudos to you and Ron. Some of the other people in the building…well I think it would be an idea to have you guys run everyone through the paces. lol
A Close-up of Star Formation
This very detailed enhanced-colour image from ESO’s Very Large Telescope shows the dramatic effects of very young stars on the dust and gas from which they were born in the star-forming region NGC 6729. The baby stars are invisible in this picture, being hidden behind dust clouds at the upper left of the picture, but material they are ejecting is crashing into the surroundings at speeds of that can be as high as one million kilometres per hour. This picture was taken by the FORS1 instrument and records the scene in the light of glowing hydrogen and sulphur.
Credit: ESO/Sergey Stepanenko
I have about 32 hours total for the next two weeks. From a job that’s supposed to give me a 38 hour minimum (and should be giving me more like 48) over a two week period.
I’m going to go cry now. Sadly, crying won’t pay my bills, but what the fuck else am I supposed to do as a reaction?